Wednesday, August 23, 2017

FEATURE: Krystal aka QueenofNails83 and her Women of Color makers / bloggers project


Today I am cross-posting / linking to a project run by the amazing Krystal Moore at QueenOfNails83. Krystal is a blogger and swatcher and one of the first WOC I found when I started getting into indie polish. Like with any area of interest for me, I take a special interest in supporting other POC and their endeavours when possible.

All images in this post will be taken from Krystal's blog and will link to the relevant post if you click on them!

Easter Watermarble / Nail art by Krystal (QueenofNails83)
Easter Watermarble / Nail art by Krystal
♥♥♥

In many aspects of media, the 'default' doesn't always capture the full breadth and depth of any experience. When it comes to the beauty world for example, most commercial brands show their products on a limited range of skin tones. Now, the beauty of indie is that people get to create what commercial products don't. 


Vitamin Sea' and nail art from Nail Social Nail Brand by Krystal (QueenofNails83)
'Vitamin Sea' and nail art from Nail Social Nail Brand by Krystal

When I buy a beauty product, it can be disappointing to receive something that doesn't look like the picture advertised because it was shown on a very different skin tone to my own. Foundation shopping is such a nightmare I've just about stopped wearing it altogether. When I see something swatched on someone with a similar skin tone or face shape, I know, "yes, I would look good in that" rather than just hoping it doesn't wash me out.


Final image from Krystal's Tie-Dye Jelly Watermarble Tutorial
Final image from Krystal's Tie-Dye Jelly Watermarble Tutorial

Krystal has taken the initiative, time, and energy to create a handy list of WOC Indie Polish makers so you can shop for indie polish you know someone has created with different skin tones in mind. She has also put together not just one, but two roll calls of WOC bloggers and swatchers, which I love because I get to see shades I've been eyeing on darker skin tones, and enjoy some stellar swatches / posts at the same time. Why not?

Let me know if you have any favourite POC / WOC owned brands, I always love to add to my list!

♥♥♥

1 comment: